Information Security is a top business imperative at Okta. In addition to driving security in our Corporate environment and Okta service, the Security team is deeply entrenched in the Okta business. As such, we contribute to product roadmaps, branding, research and other strategic aspects of our operations. We work across multiple functions, business partners and the research community. We are an engineering-focused team that seeks to stay on the cutting edge of security technology and the threat landscape.
The Defensive Cyber Operations (DCO) team is seeking an experienced Data Engineer to provide technical leadership and drive improvements in the security data used internally by Okta’s Detection & Response team and externally by Okta customers.
Reporting directly to the Director, Detection & Response Engineering, you will work within Security and cross-functionally with Engineering and Product Management to identify gaps and deficiencies in our product, system and infrastructure security data.You will drive the efforts to close these gaps, to enable effective detection and response capabilities for Okta and our customers. Core responsibilities include:
- Identify opportunities to improve our product security logging, and drive the implementation of these improvements cross-functionally with Engineering and Product Management
- Determine and address needs for security data that will enable the continuous improvement of detection and response capabilities
- Lead the design, development, and maintenance of highly scalable data pipelines and infrastructure that enables rich security, eventing, and analytics use cases
- Design and build data models for optimal storage, retrieval, and correlation of security data to enable detection and response use cases
- Apply software engineering principles to create reliable, automated data solutions to solve critical security needs
- Coach and mentor security engineers to help scale out the data visibility coverage of our detection and response program
- Build data expertise and establish monitoring, alerting, tuning, and automation end-to-end for all relevant data dimensions such as data quality, latency, query performance, and data lake/warehouse performance, for areas of ownership
What does it take?
You’re a team player. You have great communication skills and a thirst for knowledge. You’re curious about systems and how they interact, knowing that to properly defend a system you must first understand how it works. You enjoy automating tasks and if you can’t find a tool for the job you create one. You’re calm under pressure and have a good internal compass for taking calculated risks.
If you don’t have a degree, you have equivalent experience that’s given you the foundational knowledge to understand complex computing environments.
You’re a leader. People want to work with you. You know what it takes to build a world-class defensive cyber capability and you’re passionate about helping make ours stronger. Your experience probably includes:
- Leading, or contributing to, technology focused teams large or small.
- Mentoring staff and providing development opportunities to build high performing teams.
- Driving the continuous improvement of security data in support of a detection and response program
- Collaborating with Product Management and Engineering teams to drive security data improvements in SaaS products
- Developing and maintaining security and data analysis tools
- A deep understanding of SQL and data pipelines
- Knowledge and experience with advanced Splunk use cases
- Experience deploying and maintaining a security data lake using Snowflake
- Extensive experience with Workflow management and ETL tools/services such as Apache Airflow, Prefect, AWS Step Functions, and AWS Glue.
- Extensive experience with Big Data/MPP tooling such as Snowflake, AWS Redshift, Google BigQuery, Azure Data Warehouse, etc.
- Experience with big data languages, tools, and libraries such as advanced SQL, AWS EMR, Apache Spark, Apache Presto, Apache Hive, Apache Flink, PySpark, Pandas, NumPy, SciPy, and MatPlotLib.
- Experience building and maintaining real time streaming infrastructure with tools such as AWS Kinesis, Apache Kafka, Apache Storm, etc.
Ideally you also have experience in several of the following areas:
- Experience building, maintaining, and using analysis and reporting tooling such as AWS Quicksight, AWS Redshift Spectrum, Jupyter Notebooks (with Spark/SQL/Pandas), Retool, etc.
- Experience working with alternative databases and tools such as document, columnar, and graph databases, as well as graph intelligence tools such as Graphistry.
- Developing detection and response validation techniques and automating tests to enable continuous assurance of defensive cyber capabilities.
- Analyzing critical systems to understand both how to break them and defend them against attack.
- Working collaboratively within product and/or enterprise project teams, assisting to deliver large and complex technology solutions.
- A strong background with cloud infrastructure (AWS, Azure, GCP), Terraform, and container technologies such as Kubernetes, and Docker
((Colorado, New York and Washington only*) Minimum salary of $178,000/year + bonus, commission, or variable comp (depending on role) + equity + benefits))
Okta is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Okta is rethinking the traditional work environment, providing our employees with the flexibility to be their most creative and successful versions of themselves, no matter where they are located. We enable a flexible approach to work, meaning for roles where it makes sense, you can work from the office, or from home, regardless of where you live. Okta invests in the best technologies and provides flexible benefits and collaborative work environments/experiences, empowering employees to work productively in a setting that best and uniquely suits their needs. Find your place at Okta https://www.okta.com/company/careers/.
By submitting an application, you agree to the retention of your personal data for consideration for a future position at Okta. More details about Okta’s privacy practices can be found at: https://www.okta.com/privacy-policy.