Graphite is a high-growth “gig economy” company that is powering the future of work. Our mission is to enable seamless access to the world’s best independent talent. The Graphite platform connects Fortune 2000 companies with highly skilled independent talent for on-demand, remote freelance work. Over 50% of the workforce is expected to be independent by 2027, and Graphite is capitalizing on the megatrend of freelancing and remote work becoming embedded in the global economy. The COVID-19 pandemic has accelerated a major shift in the economy towards remote work, creating a tailwind and causing our business and industry to explode in 2021.
Graphite has raised $20M from top tier venture capital firms, including Valor Equity Partners, Accomplice, Communitas Capital, Alumni Ventures Group and Correlation Ventures.
About the role
This is a 100% remote position.
As a principal designer for Graphite, you will play a pivotal role in taking our design function from 0 to 1. You’ll be focused on building experiences at the intersection where expert talent and enterprises meet. These experiences help keep our experts and clients participating in a thriving marketplace.
This is a high impact role and we’re looking for someone that is motivated by complex problems, greenfield opportunities, and inspired by delightful consumer experiences. You’ll be responsible for decisions that directly influence the experience our clients and experts use daily to get work done. We really want someone who will take a founder’s mindset to bringing Graphite’s design to the next level. Design- and customer-focused thinking is the secret to building a platform that delivers real and tangible value to our experts and clients alike.
- Product Design: Own the product design artifacts in the product development lifecycle such as interaction designs, prototypes, wireframes, and pixel perfect visual design.
- User Experience: Own UX research activities such as interviews, surveys, resonance/usability tests as required to bring significant qualitative signals to our product development efforts.
- Create reusable frameworks: As the founding member of the design function at Graphite, lead the way in building design frameworks/language for product and engineering teams to reuse.
- Cross-Functional Collaboration: You’ll work closely with leaders in Product, Engineering, Sales, Marketing, Finance, and more to deliver on your goals.
- Delightful Experiences: You’ll leverage your user research and best-in-class interaction patterns as inputs resulting in delightful user experiences.
- Data Driven Decisions: Leverage qualitative and quantitative signals to improve product flows and propose high-impact opportunities.
- Execution: Manage a design backlog, ensure seamless execution, document learnings and work day to day with product and engineering to unblock projects.
- Clear Communication: Communicate progress and learnings across the company, including leadership.
What We’re Looking For
- Startup experience: You have founded or worked at a fast-growing startup either on its own or within a larger company.
- You have a passion for the craft of product design and can point to examples in your portfolio of increasingly progressive design patterns.
- You have 5+ years of product design experience launching new products/features, analyzing results, and iterating.
- Multi-channel design experience: you can point to significant design examples in your portfolio that span web, mobile, wearable, conversational, etc.
- Ability to define task flows and interaction designs/wireframes based on an understanding of user stories and jobs-to-be-done.
- You own the product design artifacts in your current role: personas, design frameworks, task flows, interaction design/wireframes, pixel-perfect designs.
- Strategic thinker with the ability to prioritize projects from multiple stakeholders in an effective way
- Deep experience with Figma and how to organize it’s use with cross-functional teams.
- Data-driven and results-oriented approach to product design, experience with tools such as Hotjar, Amplitude or Mixpanel is a plus.
- Experience with B2B software, HR tech/staffing, marketplace products is a plus.
- Competitive salary
- Full benefits: 100% employer coverage of health, dental, & vision insurance
- 401(k) with match
- Flexible vacation policy
- Customized workstation