Pantheon’s WebOps Platform powers the open web, running sites in the cloud for customers including Stitch Fix, Okta, Home Depot, Pernod Ricard and The Barack Obama Foundation. Every day, thousands of developers and marketers create, iterate, and scale websites on the open web to reach billions of people globally. Pantheon’s SaaS model puts large and small web and digital teams in control of increasing the performance of their teams, websites, and marketing programs. Pantheon cloud native software includes governance, security and collaboration tools that make it easy to securely manage a single website or thousands of websites across multiple teams in one platform. The built-in ability to simultaneously create, test, deploy and run live sites with unrivaled hosting speed, scalability and uptime give marketing teams the agility to win in the dynamic world of digital marketing.
With 35% of the web running open-source and significant investments in a $200 billion total addressable market, we are growing aggressively into a huge market opportunity and looking to expand our organization.
Pantheon is looking for a Principal Engineer to lead architecture initiatives in our Engineering organization. The role will work closely with our CTO and Chief Architect to provide thought leadership and strategic direction to influence the overall company strategy and enable architecture for all stakeholders – business, product management and engineering. Working with business stakeholders and internal development teams, the role will ensure the alignment of capabilities with business objectives. The best person for this role will have boundaryless leadership experience: Applying the nuances of influencing based on the situation, knowing when to push and when to ease, driving through designs, ideas, and roadmaps. The right person for this role will be a change agent, great communicator and experienced at leading organizations through change and transformation. You will think about business opportunities, operational issues, architectural improvements and the customer perspective in the source of a single conversation. You have a deep mastery of programming languages, distributed system design, and performance. You understand the benefits of moving quickly and enjoy teaming up to solve hard, ambiguous problems.
Cool Things You’ll Do
- Provide architectural leadership across a number of interdependent engineering teams, products, and systems, while complementing engineering managers
- Influence the technical direction of future products by contributing to the framework (architecture) used across multiple products or systems. Drive system and platform thinking within development teams.
- Be a technical leader, researching, evaluating, and implementing state-of-the-art technology (open source, third party, etc.) and championing Product Led Growth
- Build relationships with engineering and product leaders across the organization to understand business problems and apply a technology lens to resolve them.
- Represent Pantheon Engineering both internally and externally at conferences, on panels, and other contributions.
- Strong technical documentation and presentation skills to communicate architectural and design options, educating development teams, business users, and senior leadership.
- Enable strong teams – set and evangelize vision, facilitative leadership, attract and retain key talent. Talent steward for the engineering organization, mentor rising leaders.
- Rotate into a squad for a sprint, or more, in times of unique challenges the company may face and when necessary, roll up your sleeves and share your coding skills!
What you Bring to the Table
- BS/MS in computer science or equivalent work experience. Significant design/architecture experience.
- 10+ years’ experience designing and leading architectural efforts for web, software or mobile applications.
- Seasoned and Ambidextrous leadership – able to balance short and long, inspire and coach. Able to lead without direct authority.
- Excellent communication skills: Demonstrated ability to present to all levels of leadership, including executives.
- Experience in conceptualizing, launching, and driving business and product strategies and multi-year roadmaps. Track record for execution and delivery of software products to customers.
- Expertise with modern technology stacks, microservices, public cloud and programming languages.
- Expertise with Agile Development and SCRUM
- Outstanding organizational, communication, and relationship building skills conducive to driving consensus; able to work well in a cross-functional, matrixed management environment. Cognizant of the importance of Change Management as it relates to people.
- Experience representing beyond your employer’s scope of influence
- Analytical thinker with excellent problem-solving skills and the ability to adapt to changing priorities and deadlines in a rapidly changing environment.
- Anticipate and remove obstacles that can slow down or prevent teams from delivering on project goals with a sense of urgency.
- Understanding of typical product life cycle; ability to adjust and apply this knowledge in a dynamic environment without being dogmatic. Knowledge of agile-aligned methodologies.
What We Offer
We have all the usual perks and benefits but what we can really offer you is a fantastic work environment powered by an amazing team.
- Industry competitive compensation and equity plan
- Flexible time off and sick days
- Full medical coverage (medical, dental, vision)
- Top-of-line equipment
- Fun at WordPress and Drupal community events
- Extra benefits like a stipend for reading books and your workouts
- Events and activities both team-based and company wide that inspire, educate and cultivate
Pantheon is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and we welcome applications from all backgrounds regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability, or any other classification protected by law. Pantheon complies with federal and local disability laws and makes reasonable accommodations for applicants and employees with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation due to a disability for any part of the interview process, please contact email@example.com. Pursuant to local and federal regulations, Pantheon will consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records for employment.
After an offer is made and accepted, E-verify will be utilized to establish your identity and employment eligibility as required by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security