Brightcove seeks an energetic Machine Learning Engineer Intern to join the Brightcove Data Team for the summer of 2022 and help build the future of online video. This individual will work with data engineers and scientists on extracting metadata from large amounts of videos – through both video and audio analysis to power our world-class video intelligence products. If working on video with technologies such as multilingual speech-to-text, natural language processing for keyword extraction and text summarization, visual scene identification, and object recognition and segmentation are interesting to you, this could be the right position for you.
In this role you’ll have the opportunity to discover, research, and implement models as part of a pipeline that has the potential to run over millions of videos across a global pool of customers. You’ll dive deep into how to execute the models, interpret the results, and use those results to feed insight. Where needed you’ll get a chance to dig into research and training of the models to improve their fitness across Brightcove’s diverse needs.
As an intern, we will contact you before you start to develop a project that aligns with both Brightcove’s strategic goals and your current skills. If you’re a PhD student we’ll collaborate to identify how your work at Brightcove can align with your research goals and use this to drive forward both your research and also Brightcove’s research.
- Work with a dynamic team reporting up to the Chief Data Officer to create a variety of machine learning models and systems to unlock the power of machine learning on video to Brightcove’s customers
- Analyze and extract relevant information from large amounts of videos to understand broad trends in videos across video catalogs
- Conduct experiments using off-the-shelf and custom machine learning models running in the cloud to extract insights from video, speech, and text
- Work with data engineers, developers, and product managers to present findings of your model evaluations and provide recommendations on the best strategy for extracting insights from videos
- Collaborate with data engineers, research scientists and product managers to push the boundaries of innovation and experimentation with best practice and cutting-edge machine learning technology
- Currently enrolled in a masters or PhD program in machine learning, artificial intelligence, data science, computer science, or related field
- Experience in one or more programming languages commonly used for machine learning such as Python (preferred), Scala, or Java
- Academic experience of statistical modeling, machine learning, and deep learning concepts
- Basic familiarity with one or multiple industry recognized machine learning frameworks such as Scikit-Learn, XGBoost, PyTorch, TensorFlow, Keras, or JAX
- Knowledge with at least one of the following three areas acquired either through academic training or industrial projects:
- Computer Vision techniques such as image classification, object detection, object tracking, semantic segmentation, and leading computer vision libraries such as OpenCV
- Natural Language Processing for text classification, information extraction, topic modeling, machine translation a plus
- Speech to text classification for extraction of transcriptions from video
- Excellent communication, relationship skills, and a strong team player
- Experience with ML Pipelines such as AWS SageMaker, GCP Vertex AI, Kube Flow Pipelines, ML Flow, or Azure ML
- Published or submitted academic papers in machine learning
Working at Brightcove
This role can be 100% remote or located in our Boston office which is located downtown, right on Fort Point harbor. The office has an open yet focused working space layout with beautiful water views. Employees enjoy access to fully-stocked kitchens and social activities including: happy hours, trivia and movie nights, ping pong tournaments, and philanthropy events. We celebrate a variety of personal interests with organized groups and clubs including Debate Club, Women of Brightcove, Women in Engineering, Philanthropy Committee, Brightcove Bake Club, and many more!
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. If you need any accommodations for your interview, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.