Founded in 2013, NationSwell is an award-winning social impact company that helps changemakers, thought leaders and purpose driven business executives drive social impact at scale. Through a robust membership model and the nation’s leading social impact studio, NationSwell supports these impact leaders on a range of the most pressing issues, such as racial justice and economic opportunity, environmental sustainability and the future of work, as well as supporting them on the practice of social impact of CSR/ESG strategy, building champions, allies and partners and employee engagement. NationSwell’s membership community of the nation’s leading social impact practitioners includes: AARP, Starbucks, Salesforce, Nike, Microsoft, Verizon, KKR, Morgan Stanley, Schmidt Futures, and the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.
NationSwell is a certified B Corp, which means we are organized to achieve our social impact objectives, and our profits are inextricably linked to achieving that mission. We hold ourselves accountable every day to the values of Integrity, Excellence, Inclusion, Innovation, Inspiration and Teamwork. Our team, and the leaders we work with, believe in the power of community to solve our most pressing issues.
This Director, Institutional Membership role is rooted in the ability to strategically service and thoughtfully grow our Institutional Membership program. You will work with the team to increase both the impact and the scope of partnerships from the clients we serve, including corporations, investment firms, foundations, family offices, and major nonprofits based in the US.
You will help the team shape the future of NationSwell’s Institutional Membership, drive thought leadership and insights to advance our members’ work, and help make NationSwell’s offering a must-have in the sector. You will help us identify opportunities to strengthen and grow our relationships with our Institutional Members by upselling memberships and identifying opportunities for members to work with the Studio/Agency and sponsorship sides of NationSwell’s business.
What will you do?
- Drive the Institutional Member experience by uncovering and distilling each member’s unique needs, making strategic connections, planning and coordinating regular insights and tools updates, and delivering other ad hoc moments of value with agile response to the needs of the member base.
- Lead innovation by working with our Editorial, Council, Programming, and Studio teams to continually improve our offerings, regularly iterate on materials and experiences in response to partner needs and context, and proactively make recommendations for how the member experience and model can improve to drive impact, and meet the needs of partners.
- Strategically plan and coordinate events at the cutting edge of the field, fostering inspiration, connection, and practical learnings.
- Build and nurture strong relationships with our existing members through quarterly check-points and regular communications, working to retain and grow our recurring book of business.
- Focus on enterprise growth by leading the Institutional Member relations (onboarding, renewals, referrals, and revenue growth) and member engagement.
- As the primary touchpoint for our Institutional Members, you will gain insight into the ways members use and derive value from their NationSwell relationships. We will rely on your expertise to help the structure of our offering and the sales strategy of our Growth team.
- Champion all NationSwell solutions, identifying opportunities for expanded scopes with existing partners and, as appropriate, complementary opportunities for new products/membership programs.
- Act as ambassador at conferences and events (with the utmost regard to your safety and comfort levels as we move through pandemic recovery).
- Work closely with our Growth team to ensure smooth onboarding for newly closed members.
- Continuously seek improvements to our external offering, delivery, and internal ways of working – driving efficiencies within NationSwell.
- Stay up to date on industry trends and act as a conduit for shifting partner priorities or needs.
- Model our core values of Innovation, Integrity, Excellence, Teamwork, Inclusion, and Inspiration.
What are you like?
Successful candidates will excel at building community and forging strong relationships with senior executives, understanding and flexibly serving their key priorities, and identifying trends and insights in the impact sector. You are a natural problem solver and connector, a relationships-first kind of person, team-oriented, and committed to continuous improvement and learning. You should excel at collaborating on a growing team, have expert interpersonal communication skills, and be highly organized with a start-up mentality.
- Background in relationship management, account management, or managing memberships
- Deep familiarity with at least one of the following; corporate impact, financial institutions, philanthropy and foundations, or large nonprofit organizations
- Understanding of how large organizations work and an ability to quickly speak the language of different organizations across sectors
- Proven ability to think strategically and draw connections between people and business opportunities
- Ability to manage executive-level relationships
- Proven ability to manage multiple projects at a time while paying attention to detail, with the utmost respect for relationship capital
- Excellent at oral and written communications, and presentations
- A deep commitment to institutional impact and driving critical change in the United States and beyond
- Belief in NationSwell’s values and commitment to furthering anti-racism, equity, and inclusion.
We know that having a positive team culture is essential to achieving our goals, so we put time and effort into making NationSwell an encouraging, energizing, and exciting place to work. We are proud to be a certified B Corp. Here are just a few of the ways we celebrate our staff and culture at NationSwell.
- Health and Wellness: Health, dental, and vision insurance, an EAP, HSA, FSA, and other wellness benefits for you + your family
- Family-friendly: Six weeks of paid parental leave
- Work-Life Balance: Unlimited paid time off and flexible schedules to encourage your work-life balance
- Giving Back: Paid time off for employees to volunteer for causes that matter to them and internal moments to celebrate it
- Remote Work Support: A stipend to help you set up your desired home office
- Transit: A fully-covered Citi Bike membership and pre-tax transit benefits to help you get to where you’re going
- Net Purpose + Culture Index: Measure of our employee’s sense of purpose and engagement with our Mission
- Your Savings: Employees are offered a 401k account, and we match a portion of each contribution
NationSwell is committed to creating a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment, and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are dedicated to building a workforce that celebrates diversity and equity and believe that inclusivity plays an important role in our decision-making process, both in staffing and in work product.