Website Kraken Digital Asset Exchange
As one of the largest and most trusted digital asset platforms globally, we are empowering people to experience the life-changing potential of crypto. Trusted by over 8 million consumer and pro traders, institutions, and authorities worldwide – our unique combination of products, services, and global expertise is helping tip the scales towards mass crypto adoption. But we’re only just getting started. We want to be pioneers in crypto and add value to the everyday lives of billions. Now is not the time to sit on the sidelines. Join us to bring crypto to the world.
About the role
This role is remote.
As the designated Compliance Officer, you will be responsible for Kraken’s compliance with all applicable requirements under European law, and support the firm to identify regulatory risks and the best way to manage them. You will build and manage a small team to ensure that Kraken maintains good regulatory standing in Europe.
The ideal candidate should have experience working in a fintech or exchange trading environment, with a deep understanding of requirements applicable to activities under the Markets in Financial Instruments Directive (MiFID) and European crypto asset regulatory frameworks, and be well-versed in ongoing regulatory and policy discussions in Europe with respect to crypto assets.
- Be responsible for the ongoing compliance of the firm with all applicable regulatory requirements
- Gain an in-depth understanding of operational risks (including technology security risk, operational resilience and business continuity), conduct risks and prudential risks in order to build an effective risk monitoring programme
- Design and implement internal policies & procedures to comply with regulated activities.
- Monitor internal and external business, regulatory and technology environments to identify new or emerging risks and verify remediation of issues as applicable.
- Be responsible for the submission, or in some instances the oversight of any relevant regulatory reports/ad hoc filings, transaction reporting, EMIR reporting, STRs/SARs, and any other applications or other filings submitted by Kraken to any relevant local regulatory authority
- Develop and oversee the Compliance Monitoring Programme
- Develop and maintain a relationship with the relevant local regulatory authority on behalf of Kraken
- Oversee the implementation of new regulatory requirements as they arise and assist with horizon scanning (in close cooperation with colleagues from the Strategy, broader Compliance colleagues and Regulatory Legal teams).
- Work closely with the Managing Director of Europe and regional leadership to ensure close alignment and operational compliance efficiencies for regional group entities are implemented.
- Support the Product Team for any new product roll-out in the region.
- Review marketing and sales literature, performance presentations, and other advertising or educational materials for compliance with applicable EU laws and regulations.
- Provide internal training as required.
- J.D., L.L.M., M.B.A. or other advanced degree is preferred but not required
- 8+ years in a previous regulatory or compliance position at a fintech or financial institution
- Previous experience in filing regulatory reports and providing compliance oversight is essential
- Comprehensive knowledge of EU regulatory environment, developments, and licensing requirements – particularly MiFID.
- Familiarity with anti-money laundering and know-your-customer best practices in EU markets
- Skilled in collaborating with stakeholders at all levels across technical and non-technical groups
- Ability to lead in a fast growing company environment with focused and hardworking individuals
- Strong preference for prior regulated crypto service.