At Scribd (pronounced “scribbed”), we believe reading is more important than ever. Join our cast of characters as we work to change the way the world reads by building the world’s largest and most fascinating digital library: giving subscribers access to a growing collection of ebooks, audiobooks, magazines, documents, Scribd Originals, and more. In addition to works from major publishers and top authors, our community includes over 1.8M subscribers in nearly every country worldwide.
We’re defining the workforce of the future with Scribd Flex, a program that embraces multiple perspectives while leaning into our belief that no matter where each team member is, we trust them to accomplish our shared business goals. This program lets employees, in partnership with their manager, choose where they work while creating intentional in-person meetings with co-workers that build culture and connect us personally.
Remote employees must have their primary residence in: Arizona, California, Colorado, Delaware, DC, Florida, Hawaii, Iowa, Massachusetts, Michigan, Missouri, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Oregon, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Washington, Ontario (Canada), British Columbia (Canada), or Mexico.
*This list may not be complete or accurate, and candidates should speak with their recruiter about their specific location for remote work.
The Chief of Staff is a key role that will take on and lead a variety of strategic and operational projects to drive growth and execution excellence at Scribd. The CoS serves as a consultant, coordinator, and program leader across a broad range of topics, both supporting and representing eStaff. This position will drive the focus and prioritization of organizational-wide changes and sit at the heart of how we run our business, ensuring we operate smoothly while implementing system-wide changes. In doing so, the CoS maximizes the effectiveness of eStaff by prioritizing and helping ensure delivery of the key priorities across the business.
• Partner with the COO on the development and ongoing updates to the annual, quarterly, and weekly planning and business/functional review cycle, including developing detailed agendas for key meetings.
• Support the effectiveness and efficiency of eStaff by facilitating senior leadership decisions and processes while offering feedback from an independent perspective with a strong truth-seeking bias.
• Own and lead key meetings and processes like our business reviews, all-hands, board meeting planning, and strategic planning.
• Lead the process of developing, tracking and monitoring key company wide and eStaff goals + objectives to help ensure Scribd achieves it’s most critical outcomes.
• Partner with the executive team to identify, scope and explore new strategic initiatives.
• Accesses business opportunities and new verticals by studying internal data and external market trends.
• Assist in creating scalable organizational structures, drive process improvements, produce data-driven recommendations, and help program-manage high impact projects.
• Establish quantitative and qualitative metrics, guidelines, standards by which the company’s efficiency and effectiveness can be evaluated; identifies opportunities for improvement.
• Serve as a proxy for members of the executive team as needed.
• BA / BS degree or equivalent practical experience.
• Minimum of 10 years of relevant experience in business operations, business analytics, product/project management, consulting, or investment banking.
• A data driven + analytical mindset, and can clearly define and measure success for initiatives.
• The ability to context switch between analytical, strategic, and operational mindsets, and work across different areas of the business to deliver results.
• Experience driving cross-functional projects and partnering with senior leadership.
• Ability to structure, simplify, and communicate complex and ambiguous strategic problems.
• A sense of urgency/speed adaptability.
• Exceptional communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills.
Ideally you have:
• Experience working at a high growth startup / tech company.
• Experience owning and leading high impact meetings and communications across the company and with boards/investors.