Associate Director, Human-Centered Government
Location: San Francisco, Washington, D.C., or Remote (in the U.S)
Code for America believes government can work for the people, by the people, in the 21st century. We build technology and organize a network of people dedicated to making government services simple, effective, and easy to use. Our employees build and transform government services, making them so good they inspire change. We merge the best parts of technology, non-profit, and government to help support the people who need it most. With a focus on diversity, equity, inclusion, and deep empathy for both the government and the people the government serves, we’re building a movement of motivated change agents driven by meaningful results and lasting impact. At Code for America you will contribute to meaningful work while learning and developing in a supportive and flexible environment. Our compensation and benefits are holistic and thoughtfully curated to represent our employees and our mission. Come help us drive real generational change that lasts.
Code for America is looking for a talented Associate Director, Human-Centered Government who will lead the development of an experimental best practices/field-building practice that brings the best of Code for America’s learnings and expertise not only to our teams, products, and services, but more importantly, works to spread and scale our best practices to governments, partners, and other external stakeholders as well.
You will be lead the Human-Centered Government team and have a pivotal strategic and operational role in defining and building out what best practices, field building, and knowledge dissemination mean at Code for America. Now more than a decade into its existence, Code for America has accumulated significant learnings across many elements of equitable and effective government service delivery. Recent examples include qualitative research, working with IT vendors, Human-Centered policymaking, digital outreach, and much more, as well as significant legacy resources. To organize all of this expertise, we created the five principles of Human-Centered Government as well as a set of (to-be-published) Practices under each Principle. Your mission, should you choose to accept it: manage and steward forward the Human-Centered Government framework to better help our program and product teams work to improve government service delivery, building the infrastructure, processes, and content necessary for a thriving knowledge ecosystem, and deliver the content and learnings from this framework to governments across the country towards a government that works for the people, by the people, in the digital age.
We have an exciting vision for Human-Centered Government and you will take a critical role bringing this to life. As Associate Director of HCG you will:
- Working with program, product/tech, and marketing teams, develop and execute the knowledge strategy for Code for America, with a focus on external focus (field-building, shaping the overall government service delivery ecosystem)
- Collaborate with internal knowledge management cross-functional team to develop an internal knowledge hub that organizes ten years of Code for America expertise so that our different programs can all access the best materials.
- Highlight and connect across the govtech/civtech ecosystem, which includes a wealth of external resources from organizations such as 18F, USDS, the Beeck Center, and many others Code for America partners.
- Publish external resources for governments to use in transforming their digital service delivery.
- Advise program teams on the best content to bring to their government partners.
- Conduct research across the govtech/civtech ecosystem to continue to update Human-Centered Government with the most modern content.
- Represent Code for America externally, bringing Human-Centered Government to those who will find it useful and applicable.
- Any additional tasks to execute the Code for America best practices/field building strategy.
- 7+ years experience, with 3+ working in influencing government systems change, reach and relevance, content marketing, or similar, and a passion for thought leadership, reach and relevance, and enablement.
- Proven track record of developing and organizing an organization’s frameworks, intellectual property, and/or best practices, to support both internal and external uses of such expertise.
- Ability to work collaboratively within a multidisciplinary team in a fast paced agile environment across multiple organizations and manage competing priorities.
- A deep passion for our mission of making government services better for people who need them.
- A structured thinker with strong analytical writing and communication skills.
It’s a plus if you:
- Have experience in knowledge management, library sciences, business information systems.
- Have experience working with public servants, government agencies, and/or non-profit organizations, especially in the govtech/civtech space.
- Thrive in ambiguity as an entrepreneurial self-starter with immense excitement for working on difficult, under-defined challenges. This is an opportunity to build something new, and to do so requires proactive creativity and comfort with not knowing exactly what comes next, but also the ability to embody one of Code for America’s values: Act with Intention, finding our way over obstacles, and making it work.
What you’ll get:
- Full benefits package with 100% coverage towards select medical, dental and vision plans and contributes 80% of the cost towards dependent and family coverage
- 401k plan with matching funds
- A collaborative, hardworking and fun environment
- Leadership and teammates who value Equity, Inclusion, and Diversity
- Professional development includes bi annual 360 review process and $1000 annual budget
- A manager and org-wide structure that supports and enables professional development
- Compensation: Code for America’s salary bands are transparent internally as a part of our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We extend this to our hiring process. This role at this level is ranged from $127,650 – $138,000 in yearly salary. These ranges and the target are for the San Francisco/ Bay Area market and subject to adjustment for cost of living differentials.
We strongly encourage individuals impacted by the criminal justice system or safety net system (either with direct or indirect experience, such as an impacted family member) to apply, as these are areas where Code for America does a significant portion of its work.
This role may be remote or based in San Francisco or Washington, D.C., and reports to the Chief of Staff. We expect this to convert to a position with estimated ~5-10% travel once it is reasonable to do so with regards to the Covid-19 pandemic.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Code for America values a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace and strongly encourages women, people of color, LGBTQ+ folks, people with disabilities, members of ethnic minorities, foreign-born residents, and veterans to apply. Code for America is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will not be discriminated against because of race, color, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, citizenship status, disability, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, medical condition or any protected category prohibited by local, state or federal laws.